Eddie Mathias Jacobson/Sarah Delilah Anderson Genealogy

Vol. 1, No. 3 - January 2005
Prepared by

Joseph F. Buchanan
7472 Silver Circle
West Jordan, UT 84084
(801) 566-1083

More on Ole Hansen Jacobson Genealogy

There is a book containing hundreds of completed family group records for Ole Hansen, his family and ancestors. Some of these records have been put onto the computer into a PAF file, but most have not. In studying these sheets, it is evident that a significant amount of work was completed, some going back into the late 1800's. Most of the work was done for families of siblings , cousins and even more remotely related people of the family, and it was fairly thoroughly done. Nearly all of this work was done on the side of Ole Hansen's father, Hans Jakobsen, whereas not much has been found for the family of his mother, Maren Hansen, who was the one who joined the church in the first place. I haven't yet checked the original records to see if more can be found. I hope to get to that in the next few months. For now, here is a simple pedigree chart of what I have for direct line ancestors for Maren Hansen and Hans Jakobsen:

        4 Jorgen PEDERSEN (1744-1804)
    2 Hans JORGENSEN (1778-1861)
        5 Kirsten GREGORIUSEN (1746,1748-1832)
1 Maren HANSEN (1818-1893)
        6 Soren SIMONSEN (1731-1796)
    3 Inger SORENSEN (1775-1850)
        7 Anna HANSEN (1733-1796)

            8 Neils
        4 Ole NIELSEN (1702-1778)
    2 Jacob OLSEN (1761-1830)
                20 Christen POULSEN (1669-1734)
            10 Poul CHRISTENSEN (1700-1784)
        5 Sidse POULSEN (1734-1773)
                22 Jens LARSEN
            11 Bodil JENSEN (1700-1772)
1 Hans JAKOBSEN (1814-1866)
        6 Hans NIELSEN (1729-1805)
    3 Kirsten HANSEN (1772-1831)
                28 Ole LAURITSEN (1629-1707)
            14 Peder OLSEN (1705-1759)
                29 Maren LAURITSEN (1663-1725)
        7 Ane PEDERSEN (1738-1805)
                    60 Erik IBSEN
                30 Hans ERIKSEN (1682-1687)
                    61 Anne
            15 Sidse HANSEN (1713-1790)
                        124 Soren JENSEN (1610- )
                    62 Ole SORENSEN
                        125 Mrs. Soren JENSEN (1617- )
                31 Anne OLSEN (1687-1723)
                        126 Jep NILAUSEN (1616- )
                    63 Kirsten JEPSEN
                        127 Sidse (1622- )
Elizabeth Jane Cowley and the Isle of Man

Elizabeth Jane Cowley was Grandfather Eddie's grandmother on his mother's side. The following history comes from several sources, including a history that I have of an unknown author. I also have some information from "Our Pioneer Heritage", Vol. 1, p. 214-216 and Vol. 16, p.487 & 524 compiled by Carter and the Daughters of Utah Pioneers (DUP). A lot of information is also found at http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/mormon/index.htm
[It should be noted in this reading that Matthias Cowley, Elizabeth's father, was NOT the same person as Matthias Cowley, also from the Isle of Man, who was the grandfather of Matthew Cowley, the famous apostle.]

Elizabeth Jane Cowley was born on the Isle of Man December 2, 1829, the third child in a family of seven. Her father was Matthias Cowley and her mother Anne Quayle. When Elizabeth Jane Cowley was [nearly] eleven years of age two Mormon elders, John Taylor (one of the twelve apostles at the time) and Elder Clark came to the Isle of Man and preached the gospel to its people. Elizabeth's uncle, John Quayle, became acquainted with the gospel. John's son Thomas, then 6 years old, relates in a later history:
"One Sunday evening he (John) prayed eagerly for the Light to lead him along the pathway of truth. He begged God to give him understanding and to remove the doubts that so often troubled him. We had just ended that prolonged prayer and we were rising from our tired knees when there came a loud knocking at the door. ... Two strange men stood on the threshold. Without asking who they were or what they wanted father bade them enter. ... I remember that they spoke a great deal about God and prophets of old and then they told about a new prophet and a new religion. They told how the boy Joseph Smith, in a vision, had seen and talked with the angels of the Lord, how those angels had shown to him the hidden golden plates of Mormon, and how the same angels had helped him translate the history of those early people of America. They gave Father a copy of the Book of Mormon, to prove it."

John invited the elders to hold a meeting at his home. He asked the Cowleys to attend, but Elizabeth's mother declined saying she wasn't feeling well at the time. However, upon the insistence of her brother, the whole family went to the meeting. As soon as the Cowleys heard the gospel they were convinced of its truthfulness. Nearly all who attended the meeting believed the message brought by these men of God. Eight of them were baptized that night in a beautiful stream that ran behind the uncle's home. Elizabeth's mother and father were included in this group. Because of so much persecution against the Latter-day Saints in the European countries at that time nearly all baptisms had to be performed under cover of darkness. Elizabeth was baptized in November of 1840 by James Blaksley.
Most of their relatives thought they were out of their minds to have been taken in by the Mormons, but this made no difference to them. They were soon ready to sell their little farm and home and set out for a new land where they could dwell with the saints. The brother of Elizabeth's father was wild with anger when he heard what they planned to do. He said, "Dost thou know what thou art doing, selling out thy farm and stock to take thy wife and children over into an unknown land?" But his pleading was all in vain.
He persuaded Matthias to ask one hundred pounds more than he intended for his place, thinking that no one would buy it, and then he would have to remain at home. Elizabeth's father did as his brother advised, but the Lord was with them and they were paid the price asked. They now had enough to pay their passage to America.
They set sail from Liverpool April 21, 1841 on the ship "Rochester". This was the third ship to carry converts to America from the Isle of Man. Seven apostles of the Church were returning at the time and were on board with them. They were Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Orson Pratt, George A. Smith, and Willard Richards.
Thomas Quayle reports about the voyage: "Most of the passengers were sick during the voyage. Mother [Catherine Quayle] was so ill that she had to be moved from the steerage to a small cabin on deck and, although she did not retain the little food she tried to eat, she survived the journey. Little baby Joseph died in brother John's arms. I was not seasick but the skipper showered me with so many nuts and raisins that I have never been able to eat them since."

The ocean voyage took four weeks; and they reached New York on May 19, 1841. They went up the Hudson River by steamboat to Troy, then westward by canal boats. After a six weeks' stay in Utica they journeyed to Buffalo and from there they made their way by steamboat through Lakes Erie, Huron, and Michigan, landing at Chicago. From there they travelled overland to Peru, then down the Illinois River to Peoria and from there overland to Nauvoo, arriving in July of 1841. A month later in August of 1841 their year-old baby girl Eleanor died.
At Nauvoo they built a home and stayed there for sometime. At one time, Mathias paid a hundred dollar fine so that the Prophet Joseph Smith could be released from jail after false charges had been brought against him. Soon, the unsettled conditions made it impossible to live in peace, so they procured a home in Macedonia, four miles away. At Macedonia their youngest child Ellen was born in May of 1843.
The Cowleys were driven back to Nauvoo by the persecutors of the Mormons. They experienced their full share of the troubles that led to the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith and the trying days which ended in all the saints being driven from Nauvoo by the autumn of 1846. They did not leave when John Cowley's family left in February with the first body of saints.
Elizabeth Jane was personally acquainted with the Prophet Joseph and his brother Hyrum. She was present at the meeting of the saints when the mantle of the Prophet fell on the apostle Brigham Young. They were all convinced that Brigham Young was the man who was to be the new leader of the Church.
After the martyrdom the lives of the saints and all they possessed were in constant danger of the angry mobs. The Cowleys slept out-of-doors with everything packed, ready for flight, for as long as four weeks at a time. At one time when the family was at breakfast a cannonball went through a gable of their house and they had to flee to the cornfields for protection.
After they were driven from Nauvoo and had crossed the river, Elizabeth's mother saw a young man resting under a bush. She observed, "That boy's sick." She fixed a warm drink and food for him, which she sent with Elizabeth as a messenger of mercy. This was her first meeting with John William Dutson.
The Cowleys moved to St. Louis, Missouri where they made their home. While in St. Louis John William Dutson became a very good friend of the Cowley family. Almost four years later, on August 10, 1850, Elizabeth Jane Cowley and John William Dutson were married by High Priest William Dunville. At the time John William was almost 22 years of age and Elizabeth was 20 years old.
Father Matthias Cowley worked in a packing house in St. Louis. He died on August 31, 1853.
The young Dutson couple made their home at St. Louis, and while living there four children were born to them. On June 11, 1851 a little boy was born whom they named John William. However, he died the same day and was buried at 4:30 that afternoon.
A second little boy John Henry was born to them August 1, 1852. Death struck often in those days. This little son died when just a little over two years of age on the night of October 31, 1854.
Three months later, January 28, 1855, a little daughter, whom they named Rebecca Deseret, was born to them. She was a sickly child and they feared they would lose her too; but the patriarch promised her she would live and go to Zion and would be a mother in Israel.
Another little girl, Florence Virginia, was born February 22, 1857.
John William was in very poor health in the spring of 1857. In spite of this fact they decided the time had come to cross the plains and settle in the Valley of the Great Salt Lake. An independent company organized by John Taylor with J. H. Hart as captain was preparing to leave St. Louis so they cast their lot with them. John was appointed captain of the second ten wagons. On June 10, 1857 the family boarded the steamer "Silver Heels" bound for Florence, Nebraska. The boat was very crowded and many became ill. This must have given the young couple great concern for their two little daughters, the youngest being but a few months old. When they arrived in Florence eight days later Elizabeth and her husband were both very ill.
It was difficult for them in their weakened condition to do all the things necessary to prepare for the trip westward. The wagons had to be put together and equipped. To add to her husband's responsibilities, he was made captain of the second ten wagons of their company. They were in St. Louis Company. They waited at Florence near the Delaware Company, since both companies planned to travel together. They left Florence July 3, 1857. It is difficult for us today to imagine the hardships they endured on this journey. Of course Elizabeth had a little toddler a little over two years old and a baby just four months old; and the wagon was so loaded there was no room to ride. She walked most of the way and carried the baby Florence Virginia in her apron. Mary Ann Boot, a girl in her early teens who was alone and travelling with them, helped little Rebecca along the ways carrying her part of the time.
As they neared the Salt Lake Valley they were met by Elizabeth's two brothers John and William Cowley who had become anxious about her welfare. So with fresh horses, wagons, and provisions they had crossed the mountains to meet them. The Dutsons were very happy to see them and appreciated the much-needed help. They arrived in the Valley September 20, 1857. [ The rest of this history will come in a later issue of the Newsletter.]

The Isle of Man

The symbol of the Isle of Man is a curious image of three legs connected, with a meaning: "No matter how you throw me, I stand"

From the Elizabeth Jane Cowley history, there is a summary of the history of the island: "The Isle of Man is a beautiful little Island in the Irish Sea, halfway between Ireland and England. It Is 33 miles long and 10 miles wide. A low mountain chain runs the length of the island. Its coast in many places is rocky and picturesque. This Isle has verdant hills, wooded glens and grassy meadows and presents a lovely picture to anyone who visits there. It was in this beautiful and peaceful setting that Elizabeth Jane spent her early girlhood days. ... In 930 A.D. this Isle was invaded by the Vikings. They took possession of it, settled there and established a parliamentary form of government. They passed a constitution by which they were to be governed and divided the island Into eight sections for voting purposes. During the following four centuries the island changed hands several times. It has been ruled by Ireland, Wales, Norway, Scotland and England. It was sold to the British Crown in 1865, but it still has its own representative form of government, the same form established ten centuries ago. It also has its original constitution, the oldest in the world to be in operation at the present time. It has been a pattern for all modern representative governments. The Manx people have a heritage of which they can be justly proud.
"...The celebration of Tynewald Day is observed each year on the 5th of July. On this day the people from all over the Isle gathered around Tynewald Hill which is a small man-made hill. The soil for it was taken from each of the seventeen parishes on the island. It is located at St. John's, three miles from Peel. The Hill is circular, being eighty feet in diameter, and rises in four terraces, each three feet high and well sodded, to a total height of twelve feet. It makes a beautiful sight when all the officers of the Isle take their places on this Hill on Tynewald Day. The laws which have been passed during the previous twelve months must be read from the Hill on this Day before they can become the law of the land. In the olden days after the official ceremonies were completed, a great fair was held. The people brought their lunches and spent the day in different forms of recreation on the beautiful meadows surrounding the Hill. Sometimes they would visit the nearby glens, roaming through the woods and stopping for lunch by the pure crystal streams."

Thomas Quayle spoke of his early years on the island: "As [my mother] went about her housework she sang our cheerful folk songs, and while sewing or knitting, she would gather us children about her chair and would tell us about the fairies who dwelt on the island. Of evenings she would recite long poems about our viking ancestors who had settled on the Isle of Man while they raided the rest of the British Isles."

Currently, the Isle of Man is well known for tourism. It is under Crown protection but is still fairly independent in its government.