Eddie Mathias Jacobson/Sarah Delilah Anderson Genealogy

Vol. 1, No. 4 - April 2005
Prepared by

Joseph F. Buchanan
7472 Silver Circle
West Jordan, UT 84084
(801) 566-1083

Eddie and Delilah Autobiographical Notes

In the last part of 1961, Arvilla sent a request to her parents to have them answer certain questions about their lives and history. They responded in letters sent to her in the first part of 1962. I have the exact replies on web pages available on the web, but will summarize them in fairly complete detail here.

Eddie Mathias Jacobson
Eddie first responded with some names and dates of family information. He then stated that he "was baptized in Oak City Creek, By Fridrick R. Lyman 3rd August 1893 - Confirmation - 6th August 1893". I remember Arvilla saying how they would put a dam in the creek near where the road from the city goes through the water of the stream. I expect that it was the same when Eddie was baptized. I imagine that it was a pleasant temperature in August, rather than what it would have been in the previous November when he turned 8. He says that there is no account of his Patriarchal Blessing. I haven't seen one for him

He was 16 when he was ordained a Teacher, 20 when ordained a Priest and 22 when ordained an Elder, the latter two ordinations by Peter Anderson, I believe then serving as the Bishop of the ward. Eddie was ordained a Seventy on Feb. 7, 1915. He served in that office for almost 30 years when he was ordained a High Priest on February 27, 1944. He later says that he served as the ward Seventies secretary for eight years. He served as the High Priests Group Leader for five years. He reports that he served as the ward secretary of the Y.M.M.I.A. for 14 years. I have notebooks containing minutes for mutual meetings from 1903 continuing for a few years. Those may have been his record taking. (I am including some of these on the web page.) He was also the stake Y.M.M.I.A. secretary for 14 years.

He mentions in his earliest childhood memories: "my mother took me to see my GrandFather John William Dutson On his deathbed. Also when my Aunt Ann Jane Dutson Was working for my mother I got into mischief and she tied my hands behind me. I was about (2) two years old then. When I was eleven (11) years old, my parents decided to let me go to Provo to stay with my Uncle Soren and Aunt Christena Jensen. [Christena or Kirsten was Ole Hansen Jacobsen's oldest sister.] I got on the train at Leamington, with Fredic R. Lyman as my guardian. He was going to Salt Lake for April Conference. I stayed in Provo until October. Then I Came home with George Finlinson who was coming home from Salt Lake October Conference."

In answering questions about his life, memories, illnesses, amusements, he describes quite an active life, including some serious injuries and illnesses. He says that "When I was Seventeen (17) years old, was chasing a cow when the horse I was riding slipped on the frozen slick ground, fell on my foot and broke all the bones in it. I was on crutches for about five (5) months and have been crippled ever since! In 1932 I was climbing over a Pool fence slipped and fell on a post on the ground which knocked three (3) of my ribs out of the socket of my backbone which troubled me for a long time. I was thrown from a wagon and the hind wheel ran over my hand and mashed my little finger which pulled the nail off. It has always been amusing to me considering all the accidents [that] I have been blessed in getting along so well." Concerning illnesses, he states "When I was a child I think I had all childrens diseases, at the age of 22 years old was stricken with Typhoid Fever, was very sick for about six (6) weeks. All of my accidents and sickness, including a major operation in the L.D.S. Hospital 17th March 1960". As a testimony of his life he then says that "my faith has been strengthened through the power of the Priesthood through the administration by the Elders".

Concerning his marriage and raising a family he reports: "I Married Sarah Delilah Anderson 19 Aug 1907 - Just after our marriage I filed a Homestead entry on 160 acres Dry land from the United States of America. Located 1 1/2 miles South East of Oak City. In order to get title on said land we had to live on it for (5) years. So I built a house on it and for the first (10) years of our married life we lived there then when Delilah's mother Died she inherited the home where she was born and raised. We moved back from the farm to town and are still living here." A little later in this newsletter, I include some more information about the homes he lived in.

Eddie tells of his amusements, sports and "rusticating" in this report. He lists dancing, horse racing, foot racing, baseball, basketball, hunting and fishing as his good times and favorite sports. He also recalls the outdoors customs that they called rusticating. He says, "It was a town custom in the early days of Oak Creek to go a week in the Oak Creek canyon usually in the month of July. Everybody both old and young looked forward to this occasion We would load our wagons with hay, food, and Bedding and would camp all together high up in the canyon namely Radfords, Bowens, or Ox canyon."

Many of us remember his playing in the dance band. Eddie was also very much involved in drama. I have a case containing some of their old costumes. He states in this report: "All of my younger life I was engaged in Theatrical work, starting when I was (7) seven years old and was engaged in this work (37) years Most of the time putting on Plays for the M.I.A. at home and various wards in the Stake. I am and have been playing in Orchestra Dance playing for (52) years. Have been Orchestra leader for (18) years Playing for more Dances this year [1962] than ever before." One of the more well known performances included them dressing up as "49ers".

Eddie worked very hard in his life. He was a dairy farmer and was very dedicated to supporting his family. He did not say anything about his employment in this report. I think it would be good to collect some of our memories and information about him and put this together as a formal history.

Sarah Delilah Anderson Jacobson
As Eddie's response was mainly in list form, Delilah answered the questions posed by Arvilla in a more literary form. I include it here pretty much as written, with a few adjustments in spelling and punctuation.

"Sarah Delilah was born October 18, 1886 in an adobe house in Oak City Millard Co Utah
"My father Peter Anderson was born December 10, 1847 in Svendstrup Denmark and my mother was born March 24, 1849 in Pottawatmie Iowa. I was Baptized Aug 1, 1895 in the Oak City creek by my uncle Joseph Anderson and was confirmed by my father Peter Anderson. One of the first things I can remember was the town people all went to the canyon for a May day celebration when we started back home Harry Roper's wagon was just behind ours his team got frightened and ran into our wagon and tipped it right over. They had to lift it back before we could get out, my nose was bleeding. Another time my brothers George and Eldon and sister Lucy and I were coming down the jack hill when the horses ran away we got frightened and jumped out of the wagon. The team was stopped on the other end of town.
"I started school when I was six years old. My teachers were Ellison Teeples, Mattie Hillhouse, Birdie Hillhouse, Rodney Ashby Harold Brown and Joseph T. Finlinson. I was assistant secretary in Sunday School for some time and Religion class, was Relief Society teacher a while.
"In near 1910 I had Typhoid Fever which left me with milk leg or Phlebitis which has troubled me some every since. In 1933 I had to go to Salt lake City and have a very serious operation. I was there for four months, three months before the operation to build my body and get in condition. I stayed with my brother Elmer when I didn't have to be in the Hospital. I have had two operations since then but not so bad. In my younger years dancing was my favorite amusement. When I was twenty years old I married Eddie M Jacobson (Aug 19, 1907). A son and daughter were born to us, this is what you wrote in 1937, the rest is some things I thought of one night when I couldn't sleep around 1960 or 61 some of it might be repeated when you write there might be quite a bit you will want to leave out.
"I was born 18 Oct 1886 the seventh child of Peter and Martha Lovell Anderson. Our twin sisters died when they were babies. My sisters Alice and Agnes and had to help our father quite a bit while we were growing up as well as our mother. We all learned to milk cows and that was our job while our older brothers Eddie and Lee were away from home herding sheep. One of the first jobs I can remember helping father [as] he planted a lot of peach pits and when the little trees got large enough to be budded we would go down the rows and split the bark and set the bud in place then we came along and wrapped a rag string around to keep it in place for so long. Then we had to take the string off. We raised a lot of peaches from those trees for a few years. We still have one of those trees and get peaches when there is peaches anywhere. It must be sixty years old or more now in 1962. Another thing we helped father get and plant grape cuttings for his grape vineyard he had some years ago. I have always liked outside work. Since we were married I have enjoyed going to the field with Eddie and helping what I could. I have gone with him many times for loads of wood sometimes in the canyon and sometimes out north in the cedars. Our not being able to have more than our two children of our own, when my brother's wife Arlene died and left him with his three children, I was very happy when he let us take Clora the 9 month old baby. We love her as our own. When Elmer went on his mission he left the other two Lapriel and Myron with us then until he married again. Then he took Lapriel and Myron to live with them in Salt Lake. Clora stayed with us until she was about ready for high school. Then she went to live with her father and family. I haven't been much for fancy work I have done alot of hem stitching and blocks for a lot of quilts. I have a quilt all ready for each of our nine grandchildren of my own work for a wedding present when they get married. I have enjoyed very much going to the Temple [and] have gone every chance I could when I felt like going. For fun we used to like to go up along the old dry creek and gather squaw bush gum and chew it like store gum. When we got a little older we liked to go in the canyon rusticating. Dancing is another thing I liked to do very much. I used to think I never would get [to] so I didn't care to dance but arthritis took care of that. I have made my own laundry soap all my married life [and] still have more than I will ever live to use. I have enjoyed making my own butter we have nearly always had our own butter and milk, and we have always had our own dried fruit apples, peaches, pears, prunes, green gages, and apricots. We also always had all the bottled fruit we needed."

From notes at about this same time she wrote:
"Patriarchal Blessing: 7 Sept 1919, given at home by her father, Peter Andersen
Teachers: Ellison Teeples, Mattie Hillhouse, Birdie Hillhouse, Harry Brown, Rodney Ashby, Joseph Finlinson.
Was a teacher in Primary, Assistant Secretary of Sunday School, enjoyed doing baptisms for the dead.
Illnesses: typhoid fever, milk leg, arthritis, an operation, a heart attack
Amusements, etc.: going canyon camping, dancing and being with her family
Reading: did not read a great deal when growing up, did enjoy reading all the church books, read the Book of Mormon 2 or 3 times, read the Bible through."

Again, I would like to see us collect information about her life. This is a good start, but I am sure there are many things she either forgot or was too modest to mention. I remember her always being quiet and unassuming, yet full of love.

The Oak City Homes
As mentioned above, Eddie and Delilah built a home on homestead land soon after their marriage. Their homestead home was built about halfway between the city and the mouth of the canyon. I don't know if any of it still exists, but I remember being taken to the site as a young person. It was near the creek side. I have a few pictures with family posing in front of it. One of them is on the right.

Here is a little history of the Oak City home, found in the history of Oak City: "Shadows of the Past," published by the Oak Creek Camp of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, on page 89.

"In 1868 Peter Anderson, a young unmarried man, came to help settle Oak City. He was assigned lot 3 in Block 7 in the new settlement. The first log schoolhouse was erected on Lot 3. Adjoining Peter's lot 4, a new schoolhouse, a store, and a church were built.
"Peter married Martha Ann Lovell on April 14, 1873. He built a three-room adobe home for her on the north half of lots 3 and 4. With lumber sawed by him in the sawmill he partly owned, he built the interior of the house."

The deed to the property is dated 14 July 1871, signed by Edward partridge, and states that Peter Anderson is the owner of "West 1/3 of Lot 3 in Block 7 Plat A Oak City Survey," the ownership being made "in consideration of the sum of One 18/100 Dollars." (The deed document is in possession of Joseph Buchanan.)

Subsequent deeds show that on the 21st of July 1919, the property (1 and 1/4 acre) was transferred from Martha A. Anderson to Peter Anderson, and on the 22nd of July 1919 it was transferred from Peter Anderson to Delilah Jacobson. It is interesting to note that Martha Ann died on July 27, 1919.

There is a Quit Claim Deed dated 4 December 1936 for the property in the name of Delilah Jacobson. Peter Anderson died on 9 Apr. 1932.
On 27 March 1964, the property was deeded to Forrest Buchanan and Arvilla J. Buchanan.

The property was sold to the LDS Church to give expanded property for use of a parking lot for the church. The house was torn down in 1972.

I have a set of pictures of the house and property in 1972 a while before it was torn down. These are viewable on the family web page mentioned below.

Eddie and Delilah Jacobson Family Web Site
I have spent some time over the past few months (with a lot of technical help from my son, David) in putting together a web site. On this web site I have put together a few family history organization areas, including one for the Eddie and Delilah Jacobson family. I can easily move this to a site dedicated to the Jacobson family if we so decide, but it is OK where it is for now. It is found at the location HTTP://emjacobson.buchananspot.com . I have included an area that is password protected where we can place sensitive and private information, not appropriate for public viewing. I have a couple of login codes for you to use, whichever you choose. (Contact Joseph for the login and password). There is a form for contributing information to me, or you can send anything to my regular email address, listed at the top of this newsletter. I would love to include many things on this web site. Let me know what you think.